Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mango-Cucumber Salsa

When I saw this week's CSA box, I knew I had to make DH's favorite salsa.




The three yellow items above the tangerines are the delicious Ataulfo mangos and we get them often from Los Poblanos Organics. They're definitely not as photogenic as regular mangos but they are a different texture and less wet so they're easier to cut. In our weekly letter Farmer Monte says that these mangos are less stringy than regular mangos and they are best when they start to wrinkle a bit.



MANGO-CUCUMBER SALSA

Note: I've learned over time to always test my chiles before adding them to a recipe. Jalapenos can have absolutely no heat or so much heat that they can ruin a recipe so after I cut one open I taste a small slice to gauge the heat.

Makes about 4 cups salsa

2 mangos, peeled and diced
1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
5 scallions, minced
1 jalapeno, minced (or to taste)
Juice of half a lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together with serving dish. Let sit about an hour for the flavors to intensify and stir well before serving. Serve with tortilla chips. I used flour tortillas, cut into strips, sprinkled with red Chimayo chile powder, and bakedat 375 degrees F until just starting to brown.







2 comments:

Chery said...

Yum, can't wait to give this one a try. I love your new blog.

Nanette said...

Thanks so much Chery! I hope to post a lot more southwestern recipes in the future.

Related Posts with Thumbnails