Friday, April 10, 2009

Pizza Making Equipment, Part 1




I've been using the fact that I'm planning on self-publishing a vegan cookbook this summer as an excuse to buy lots of new equipment. My first purchase included a deep dish pan and a heavy duty spatula to hold those heavy pizzas, an Oxo good grips large pizza wheel (excellent for whole grain crusts), and a package of 3 pizza screens.

I can't recommend pizza screens highly enough. I've always used a pizza stone but they always crack in my oven over time. Pizza screens are cheap (about a dollar per screen at Amazon) and have produced the best pizza crusts I've ever made. You use them just like a pizza pan but you have to either roll out or stretch the dough before putting it on the screen so they don't work for really wet doughs. If you have a baking stone you can put the pizza in the screen right on top of it or you can do as I do and just put it right on the oven rack.

I've made thicker crusts with nice dough bubbles using a screen.




And I've also done a thin crust (docked as is the custom in cracker-style pizza crusts) on the screen.






They're a pain to clean but I really love the end result.







The next pizza tools I plan to try include a cast iron pizza pan (you heat the pan until it is hot then plop the stretched out dough on top), a pizza knife, and what they call a cutter pan (looks like a deep dish pan but is actually used for thin crust).

3 comments:

Heidi S. said...

Love your food blog! I popped over here from Knitting in Color and I'll bookmark this one for sure. I'm not vegan, but still like to look at everything to get ideas. I've never seen the pizza screens before but I like the concept and will check those out at Amazon. I live in Albuquerque so I'm looking forward to seeing some local ingredients and New Mexico recipes.

By the way, I don't comment much on blogs but wanted to say that Knitting in Color is one of my favorites - your writing style is so clear and unaffected and I always enjoy reading your posts.

Heidi S.

Nanette said...

Thanks Heidi! I just went to Talin and I will show what I bought there this week. I love Talin!

Nanette said...

Thanks Heidi! I just went to Talin and I will show what I bought there this week. I love Talin!

Related Posts with Thumbnails