Thursday, May 14, 2009

Semolina Pasta in the Bread Machine


I like to make my own pasta but have only done it once without eggs from a recipe online. That effort wasn't a total success but recently I was paging through Beth Hensperger's Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook and saw that she had a semolina pasta recipe that didn't use eggs. I used her recipe to make ravioli and it worked extremely well - DH pronounced the ravioli "excellent" and ate about 10 of them. For the filling I pureed organic firm tofu, raw spinach, homemade basil pesto, and lemon juice in the food processor. I served the ravioli with my slow-cooked marinara sauce.

Here is the pasta recipe - I'm paraphrasing it quite a bit because it is long. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a bread machine. It is 644 pages of wonderful bread recipes. I don't know if there is a difference between semolina pasta flour and other types of semolina flours - I buy semolina flour in bulk at Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage in Albuquerque .


SEMOLINA PASTA
Beth Hensperger's Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook
Makes 1 1/2 lbs pasta or 7 to 8 servings
For 1 1/2 lb or 2 lb loaf machines

7/8 cup warm water
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups unbleached all-purpose or bread flour
1 cup semolina pasta flour
1 tsp. salt (I used 1/2 tsp)

1. Place all the ingredients in the bread pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions. Program for the Dough or Pasta Dough cycle; press Start. Set a kitchen timer for 7 minutes. When the timer rings, check the dough ball that has collected on the blade. It should be firm but not pliable. If it is too dry, add a couple drops of water while the machine is kneading. If it is too moist, sprinkle in some all-purpose flour, a teaspoon at a time. Reset the timer for 3 more minutes. When the timer rings press Stop to cancel the cycle.

2. Remove the dough from the pan. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. (The dough can be refrigerated at this point for up to 3 days, but bring to room temperature before rolling out.) The dough is now ready to roll out and cut as desired.

The recipe goes on for two more pages but here is what I did with it at this point.


I have a hand-cranked pasta machine. I started putting the dough through the thickest setting (on my machine that setting is 7) and folded the dough back up and put it through the machine again and again, finally ending up on the 5 setting.




Then I took the rolled pasta sheet, added some filling (a scant Tbsp filling per ravioli), folded the sheet and formed ravioli with the red wheeled ravioli cutter that came with my machine. Before cutting it is important to press the dough around the filling to remove air holes as seen below.


The raviolis were put on a floured baking sheet to rest in the refrigerator until time for dinner. Then I boiled them for about 3-4 minutes until tender.

I'm very happy with the tenderness and flavor of the dough recipe. I think my raviolis were still thicker than I liked and there was a too large proportion of pasta to filling. Next time I'll roll the dough out until a 4 in thickness on my machine and I'm going to get some new ravioli stamps and fillers. This recipe made about 22 raviolis.


8 comments:

Pastastic Matt said...

Good job!

I agree with you - no-egg, durum wheat pasta is a nice alternative.

I also use a pasta roller to take the pain out of all that rolling...

... I like the way you make the ravioli too. I've not tried that method - have you tried any other ways?

(The ravioli trays you can buy are next to useless, but 'half-moon' ravioli are easy too - just cut out circles using a cup, fill them, fold over and seal with a little egg mixture).

Bravo!

Hannah said...

There is nothing quite like homemade pasta- And homemade ravioli is even a step better! Yours looks absolutely amazing.

Mihl said...

That looks incredible! Thank you for posting this recipe, I am going to try this in the next couple of weeks.

Mary said...

Such gorgeous color here and throughout your blog. I find your recipe end techique intriguing. I'll be cack often.

Nanette said...

Hi Pastastic Matt! I've never tried those ravioli trays but thanks for warning me against them. The red roller thing I have actually ruined some raviolis because they were too high with all the filling and it broke them.

I like the half moon idea and I'll definitely try that next. I also want to do some flavored pasta doughs.

Nanette said...

Hannah thanks so much! I really do love your blog and am happy you stopped by!

Nanette said...

I hope you enjoy it Mihl! I'm going to try to do this recipe next with some spinach in the dough to color it.

Nanette said...

Mary, thanks for your kind words. I love looking at the beautiful breads on your blog and will be back as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails