Monday, May 25, 2009

Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Basil

I have to admit something. I routinely overcook whole wheat pasta - on purpose. I really prefer the flavor and texture. It doesn't seem to break down like white pasta or become gummy like overcooked rice pasta. It is also why I love to use whole wheat pasta in big pots of soup - over time the pasta keeps it shape if you have leftovers and reheat it several times.

For this recipe I wrote 10 minutes for the cooking time which is the standard cooking time but actually I cook it 15 minutes at least.




Whole Wheat Pasta Salad with Basil

Makes six servings

6 oz. whole wheat rotini or other whole grain pasta (I used Trader Joe's organic rotini)
3 lg. scallions, diced
1 1/2 c. thawed frozen peas
2 ribs celery, sliced
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup Vegenaise or other vegan mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste




Cook pasta in boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. In serving dish mix scallions, peas, celery, basil, and vegan mayonnaise. Drain pasta well and add to serving dish. Stir to combine. If desired, garnish with some extra basil leaves or slivered scallion greens.



I'm serving this for our Memorial Day feast along with tofu hot dogs, corn on the cob liberally sprinkled with chipotle powder, the to-die-for chocolate-chocolate chip walnut cookies from Veganomicon, and maybe some homemade baked beans if I can find my recipe.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails