Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cookbook for Charity and Chimichanga Night

Our little group of pet rabbit rescuers here in Albuquerque has been dealing with a monumental crisis of over 336 (and counting) pet rabbits found in someone's yard. So far they've shipped out 170 to various other rescues throughout the country but unfortunately this is costing them thousands of dollars. Details of this situation are HERE (including a photo) if you scroll down.

I'm working on a cookbooklet of vegan mostly traditional New Mexican recipes which will be available in .PDF or print form - the booklet will have about 40-50 recipes with color photos and nutritional analyses and a list of mail-order sources. I hope to be finished next week and through the end of July 2009, 100% of the sales will go to the New Mexico House Rabbit Society to help them through this situation. (After July, 20% will go to them.)

Last night I made chimichangas to photograph for the booklet. I served them with an avocado sauce, lime-pickled red onions, a green salad, and fruit from our CSA.



I was thrilled when I figured out that chimichangas don't have to be deep-fried. I filled flour tortillas (I like Trader Joe's organic flour tortillas because they're much lower in sodium) with mashed pinto beans, caramelized onions, and some diced chipotle in adobo sauce. I secured the chimichangas with a toothpick and kept the toothpick in when sauteing them on both sides in oil.



Remove the toothpick and serve with any sauce you like - a homemade pico de gallo is good or any of your favorite commercial salsas. I had some avocados that needed to be used so I pureed them with lime, garlic, and Vegenaise for the sauce.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails