Sunday, June 21, 2009

Microwave Beet Chips

I can't say these are photogenic at all but they are really tasty - kind of crunchy and chewy at the same time with a roasted flavor. You have to cook one beet at a time though. If I ever have any left over, I think they'd be great to toss in a salad.

Microwave Beet Chips

Makes about 1 cup

1 lg beet, peeled as thinly as you can - about 1/8" slices
Vegetable oil cooking spray
Pinch of sea salt

Spray a dinner plate with the cooking spray and lay beet slices on the plate without overlapping. Sprinkle with salt. Microwave on HIGH for 8-9 minutes or until beets are just starting to get crunchy. They will continue to cook a bit after you take them out of the microwave. Do check the beets while they are cooking to make sure you don't burn them - don't be alarmed if you see them covered with a white foam. I also do potatoes this way for potato chips although those do need to be turned mid-way during the cooking.



I think this may be the absolute perfect way to spend Sunday morning. These are Isa's Blueberry Corn Muffins from Vegan with a Vengeance and the Kindle 2 is an early birthday gift from my husband. I had been saving up to buy one since last winter and he took pity on me. There wasn't a huge choice of non-leather covers but this synthetic leather one from M-Edge is really nice because it stands so I can more easily read while knitting.



I'm working on a grilled flatbread recipe so I don't have to turn the oven on very often this summer. I'm not quite there yet but I'll post the recipe when I am happy with the results. This is a fennel and black pepper grilled flatbread topped with a white bean pesto puree, basil and garlic chives from my garden, with cucumbers, tomatoes and olives.

2 comments:

Laurie Ashton Farook said...

Beet chips sounds like an interesting possibility. Thanks for the idea. :)

And I know what you mean about photogenic - there are quite a few dishes I make that aren't the least bit photogenic, even though they taste great. Ah well... :)

Nanette said...

Laurie, I am just glad for the invention of parsley. Iadmit I put sprigs of parsley on various dishes that aren't very attractive. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails