Thursday, June 4, 2009

Mixed Salad w/Cashew Dressing



I 've been experimenting with nut-based salad dressings lately. This one is based on a recipe from an out-of-print book I love called Better Homes and Gardens Fresh and Simple Vegetable Dinners.

Mixed Salad w/Cashew Dressing

Serves 4

Dressing:

6 Tbsp cashew butter (I think this would work with peanut or almond butter as well)
6 Tbsp water
1 small clove garlic, minced
pinch of sea salt or to taste
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. This process will be much easier if the cashew butter is at room temperature first. If the dressing is too thick, add more water to desired consistency.

Salad:
5 cups mixed baby greens (I used mesclun and baby spinach from our CSA)
1 large beefsteak tomato sliced into wedges
1 cup thawed frozen peas
4 scallions, chopped
1/3 cup raisins (If you omit these, add some sweetener to the dressing)

Toss salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.




Also I just read in a book that the stickers on your produce actually mean something. I just thought they were there to annoy me when I was making a big salad in a hurry.

If the number is 4 digits and starts with a 3 or a 4 it is conventionally grown like the banana shown below. If it is a 5 digit number and starts with a 9 it is organic like the kiwi. If it is a 5 digit number and starts with 8 it is genetically engineered.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails