Monday, June 29, 2009

My Favorite Wontons

Makes about 50 wontons

This recipe began when I made a mistake in the won ton recipe from Moosewood's Daily Special. I thought the cornstarch was supposed to go in the filling and since I omitted the egg from the recipe, the cornstarch helped hold the filling together for a vegan version.

I usually double this recipe and have DH sit down and help me assemble the won tons. Then I flash freeze the won tons and keep them in the freezer for a fast soup. I use my homemade vegetable broth, a package of Trader Joe's or Whole Foods frozen stir-fry vegetables with edamame, and soy sauce for a simple but delicious soup. If I have more time I saute some onion, garlic, and ginger and add a small amount of dried wakame and dried shiitake mushroms to the soup as well.

1 lb. organic firm tofu
10-16 oz. leafy greens (fresh or frozen spinach, collards, chard, kale) If using frozen, thaw and drain well.
2" piece of peeled gingerroot, coarsely chopped
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 c. coarsely chopped scallions
1 tsp. sriracha/rooster sauce
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 package (12 oz) wonton wrappers (about 50 wrappers), Peking Noodle House wrappers are pretty low in sodium




Puree all ingredients but wonton wrappers in food processor. For each wonton, put 1 heaping tsp of filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Fold in half diagonally, using a bit of water to seal. take both ends and fold to center as shown above. Seal with extra water. Place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornstarch.

To cook the wontons right away, put in boiling water or broth and cook several minutes until just tender.

To freeze the wontons, flash freeze the baking sheet of wontons for several hours. Remove (if they stick the the sheet, just let them thaw a few minutes and they'll come right off) and put in plastic freezer bags to store.



Here they are cooked with vegetable broth and frozen stir-fry veggies and topped with dots of sriracha.




2 comments:

Hannah said...

That soup looks -amazing!- I've actually never made my own wontons or dumplings, but you've inspired me. It's definitely going on the "to-make" list.

Nanette said...

Hannah, it is a bit time-consuming but I think worth the effort. I hope you enjoy them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails