Thursday, June 11, 2009

Roasted Green Beans w/Shallot Vinaigrette



Despite eating a vegetable-based diet with me for years, DH still intensely hates green beans and even complains if I try to grow some in our garden. I tried all sorts of recipes to show him the light but was unsuccessful. Then one day I read about the virtues of roasting green beans and tested them on him. He loved them - roasted green beans are deliciously smoky and sweet. They aren't quite as photogenic after the roasting process but I'm thrilled to have found a recipe DH likes.

Roasted Green Beans with Shallot Vinaigrette

Serves 4

1 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2" lengths
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Pinch of sea salt
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 large shallots, minced
1/2 tsp. agave nectar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss green beans with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil and the salt on a baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, stir the beans, and roast another 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

In a serving dish, mix remaining olive oil, vinegar, shallots, and agave nectar. Add green beans and mix thoroughly. I like these served at room temperature.




Here are my other two favorite green bean recipes:

Penne, Crispy Tofu, and Green Bean Salad - I simply cannot stop eating this delicious salad from Cooking Light. I make it all the time when we're getting fresh tomatoes from Los Poblanos Organics.

Healthy Green Bean Salad - Don't omit the bay leaf - this really makes the salad. This recipe was from one of Dr. Andrew Weil's books and one I've made many times over the years.




No green beans in this week's CSA box but I did add extra strawberries and mushrooms and Valencia peanuts. Bubbles the house rabbit has already devoured the chard. I really have to find some new and interesting things to do with beets. I generally either bake them whole in foil or boil them and slice and add to salads.

Green Bean Salad on Foodista

4 comments:

DKM said...

Beet Gnocchi!

Alisa@Foodista said...

Hi Nanette, I followed you from the foodieblogroll and your blog is wonderful esp since Im trying to add more veggies in our meals. I've found some great recipes here I'll be making soon. I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind. Just add this foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Nanette said...

Michelle, DKM beet gnocchi sounds very intriguing! I might try my hand at it this week.

Nanette said...

Thanks Alisa! I'll add the widget this week when I get a chance.

Related Posts with Thumbnails