Friday, July 10, 2009

The Food of a Younger Land

I'm currently reading (on my Kindle) Mark Kurlansky's The Food of a Younger Land which includes the results of the WPA's Federal Writer's Project on how America ate during the Depression. I wish there was more info about New Mexico but there is one essay about La Merienda (a late afternoon snack in the field) and it discusses the foods eaten. This particular passage really intrigued me: "... and for dessert there is pumpkin pie, still warm - not the pumpkin pie that is known elsewhere in America, but a flat pastry with a line of sweet pumpkin showing between two contrastingly thick crusts and know as pastel de raymta (line pie). This is in humorous allusion to the thin strip of filling showing between the two crusts." I've never heard of pastel de raymta but if you also find regional food history fascinating then check out this book.




I added a lot of stuff to this week's CSA box - more organic, fair trade, locally roasted coffee (called Farmy Fuel), some NM Valencia peanuts and peanut butter, extra strawberries, and some sourdough bread from Sage Bakehouse. In the center are our first tomatoes of the year - next week I'm thrilled we're getting two pounds and I'll post links to some of my favorite tomato recipes. We haven't cooked much this week and we've been busy so it is amazing to see how little of the box is actually left 4 days later.



We're now getting peas regularly from our garden. The poor zucchini plants were raided twice by ground squirrels - they managed to get in the cold frame under the screen and ate both leaves and blossoms . I think we've finally figured out how to keep them out and the plants are recovering.

These are a variation on the cherry muffins in Vegan with a Vengeance. I made them and the oatmeal-raisin cookies for DH to take on a Colorado high country backpacking trip last weekend. He says they were well-received by his fellow hikers.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails