Monday, July 13, 2009

Shredded Collard Greens with Chipotle and Garlic



My collard green plants are my greatest garden success. I put them in the cold frame last October thinking they'd be long gone by now. I've picked off blossoms a few times and they are still going strong in our sun and heat.



Shredded Collard Greens with Chipotle and Garlic

I like the different texture you get from shredding the collards and cooking them for a shorter period of time. Chipotles in adobo sauce vary greatly in size and even sometimes vary in heat so start with the smaller amount and add more if you like.

Serves 4

1 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 whole chipotle in adobo sauce, minced (1-2 Tbsp.)
8 oz collard greens, stems removed and thinly sliced (about 4 c. shredded)
pinch sea salt or to taste

Saute the garlic in the oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until just starting to become golden. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Continue to cook for another 4 minutes or until collards are a dark green.

By the way, the prop chile in the photo is a smoked jalapeno but it is not a chipotle. It is called a morita chile and they smell slightly spicier than chipotles. I've lived here 11 years and I'm still navigating the confusing world of chile peppers with all their different names and spellings. I will do a blog post on the subject soon.





Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 65 Calories; 5g Fat (67.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 34mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

2 comments:

divakitty said...

Fiona asks that you send any and all collard greens to her.

Nanette said...

Fiona eats collard greens? Why doesn't Bubbles? I'm starting to wonder if my rabbit is weird! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails