Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Spaghetti with Salsa Cruda



Spaghetti with Salsa Cruda

Whenever I'm lucky enough to have an abundance of fresh tomatoes, I make this simple pasta dish with an uncooked sauce. You can use all red tomatoes or even half yellow tomatoes for this. I think this is one of those dishes that can be served at all temperatures - hot, warm, or cold.

Serves 4

8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti (I'm fond of Whole Foods 365 organic brand)
8 oz red tomatoes, finely diced (about 1 1/4 c.)
8 oz orange tomatoes, finely diced
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. capers
1/4 tsp. sea salt or to taste
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped

Break lengths of spaghetti in half and cook in boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until tender. In a serving bowl, mix tomatoes, oil, garlic, capers, and salt. Add hot drained spaghetti and basil.


Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 315 Calories; 11g Fat (30.5% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 171mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.




One of my other favorite fresh tomato recipes is this Sara Moulton recipe for tomato and zucchini gratin which I make quite frequently sans cheese.


Here's our CSA loot for the week - look at those beautiful orange tomatoes! I added a lot of items via their electronic shopping cart online - the wonderful paisano bread from Sage Bakehouse, some raw honey from Socorro, Heidi's organic raspberry jam from Corrales (I want to add this to some non-dairy ice cream I'm planning), extra strawberries and baby spinach, and more Valencia peanuts. The other bag contains fresh basil and we received some pie cherries. I'm not sure what I'll do with those.



2 comments:

pavotrouge said...

one of the best things to do with spaghetti and tomatoes! oh and I envy the cherries... ours are still tiny and bland.

Nanette said...

Pavotrouge, I agree about the tomato/spaghetti combo. I still haven't used the cherries for anything so I have to get busy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails