Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tomato and Olive Tart



Look at those beautiful tomatoes in our CSA box this week! I was planning on making one of my favorite tomato recipes, the tomato and onion tart with a garlic/basil crust from Donna Klein's Vegan Italiano. I highly recommend this wonderful cookbook; I'm sure I've made every pizza in it at least 3 times. Anyway, I was out of a few things in the recipe so I ended up with this adaptation. I prefer using oil in the crust to shortening and fortunately it did not turn out soggy because I drained the tomato slices beforehand.




Tomato and Olive Tart

Serves 4

Filling:
3 large tomatoes, cored, halved and sliced
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
15 halved black olives
2 Tbsp. minced fresh basil

Crust:
1 1/4 c. unbleached flour
1/2 c. packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. sea salt
6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
4 to 5 Tbsp ice water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place sliced tomatoes on several layers of paper towels to drain slightly. Pat the tops with additional paper towels to dry them out.

Place flour, basil, garlic, sea salt and olive oil in food processor and process until basil is minced and mixed throughout the crumbs. With processor running, add water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until mixture just comes together. Pat dough out into a 10" tart or springform pan. Prick dough with a fork and bake for 12 minutes.

Remove dough from oven and take tomatoes off of paper towels. Brush 1 Tbsp. of olive oil onto top of dough. Place tomato slices in concentric circles around dough. Arrange olives on top of tomatoes and brush with additional Tbsp. of olive oil. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until crust becomes golden brown. Remove side of pan and let rest for about 10 minutes on a wire rack. Top with fresh basil and slice. This tart can be served hot or at room temperature.





Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 392 Calories; 27g Fat (61.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 245mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 5 1/2 Fat.

6 comments:

Heidi S. said...

That looks delicious!! I've bookmarked it (and I'm not even vegan!)

divakitty said...

Adding this one to the list of 'must makes'.

Nanette said...

Enjoy Heidi! I've also made it with yellow and orange tomatoes.

Nanette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nanette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nanette said...

I hope you enjoy it DKM!

Related Posts with Thumbnails