Monday, August 24, 2009

Broiled Eggplant Slices w/Garlic, Basil & Lemon

My southwestern cookbooklet Fiesta Vegan with 30 recipes/43 pages is now for sale HERE at Amazon with free super saver shipping. Because the print-on-demand services are expensive I made the print price as low as possible. I think my profit on the Amazon print version is a little over a dollar and it is 70 cents for the Lulu print version. I doubt I will be able to donate a percentage of the profits of this one to our pet rabbit rescue group (the NM HRS) as I had originally planned. Instead I'll concentrate on finding some great donations for their next garage sale.

My CSA box is arriving this afternoon and I still had 2 eggplants in the refrigerator from last week. This simple eggplant recipe is best served at room temperature and can be made in advance.




Broiled Eggplant Slices with Garlic, Basil and Lemon

Serves 8

4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. sea salt or to taste
1/4 c. minced fresh basil or 1 Tbsp. dried
2 small-medium eggplants (about 2 lbs. total), stems removed, sliced 1/2" thick
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel

In a small saucepan cook garlic, olive oil and red pepper flakes over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in salt to taste and basil. Preheat broiler.

Lightly score both sides of eggplant slices in a crisscross style being careful not to cut all the way through. Place slices on baking pan and brush with about 1/2 of the oil mixture. Broil 8 inches from heat for about 8 minutes. Turn eggplant slices and brush with the remaining oil mixture. Broil for another 10 minutes or until tender. Check frequently while broiling - move baking pan farther from the broiler if the garlic slices burn.

Sprinkle eggplant with grated lemon peel. Serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate to serve later.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 112 Calories; 9g Fat (70.1% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 121mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat.




This weekend I managed to get to Talin Market which is a treasure trove of international ingredients. The panko and dried shiitakeswere a great deal - each under $1.50. I bought two packages of won ton wrappers and learned something. Shanghai-style won ton wrappers (what I bought) do not contain eggs but Hong Kong-style won ton wrappers do.The frozen vegetable dumplings filled with cabbage are delicious and healthy but my favorite part is that "spring rain" is in the ingredients list. I plan to make tamales with banana leaves this week and the plastic bag of greens is epazote. I think fresh epazote tastes like turpentine but I do love it for cooking dried beans.
I bought the fresh chestnuts to play with and DH requested some British orange marmalade to serve the next time I make my no-knead English muffins. I also bought some pasilla and ancho chiles to restock my chile drawer and some frozen empanada rounds for when I'm too lazy to make my own empanada dough. The lentil pea chips were better than they sounded and gluten-free to boot.


4 comments:

KAnn said...

I absolutely LOVE eggplant and this looks fabulous. Search me me at kannharveycooks although your posts are mucj more substantive at this point!

Nanette said...

Hi KAnn! I love eggplant as well and just got more in the CSA box. I'm thinking of veganizing either the Eggplant Focaccia here - http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/eggplant-focaccia.html or
the Eggplant Pizza here http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/08/grilled-eggplant-and-olive-pizza/

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I love the simplicity of this recipe. It really makes the eggplant shine.

Nanette said...

Susan, I still have to figure out the secret to photographing eggplant.

Related Posts with Thumbnails