Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cast Iron Pizza Pan

Last week I tested my new cast iron pizza pan. I bought this model mainly because it had the shortest handles. Cast iron is a brittle metal which is why cast iron pans always have shorter handles than their stainless and aluminum counterparts. I have yet to meet anyone who has broken a cast iron pan handle but I'm sure I could do it. After all, I've already blown up a pressure cooker (a fava bean incident), burnt the enamel completely off a Le Creuset Dutch oven (brown rice), and I broke the kick plate on my brand new bottom-freezer refrigerator the very first day I had it. I'm just lucky that way I guess.



Anyway, I am not that thrilled with my new pan. The theory was that you could put the cast iron pan on a stove burner, slide on your pizza, then put the entire thing under a preheated broiler to get nearer to the really high temperatures found in commercial pizza ovens. What I found is that the pan gets really hot only right above the burner so I ended up with a crust that was burnt in the center and not even cooked near the edge. It is also kind of a pain transferring the really hot pan and pizza to the broiler. This first pizza has a semolina crust with tomatoes and pesto and some non-dairy cheeses.



For the second pizza I tried a technique similar to how you grill a pizza. I put the dough in the cast iron pan without the toppings, then I flipped the dough and added the toppings. I don't think the pan was hot enough though so I ended up having to put it under the broiler anyway to try to melt the non-dairy cheese. This pizza has my favorite fast pizza sauce - equal parts tomato paste and extra-virgin olive oil with minced garlic.




DH liked the crust on these but I was hoping for a nice blistered crispy crust. I need to try this again - perhaps there is a learning curve. If all else fails I can use it as a pizza stone substitute.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Those pizzas certainly LOOK good! I've found my very best pizza crusts are cooked directly on my pizza stone. I preheat it in a 450˚ oven. I cook the pizza for 4 minutes at this temp then lower the temp to 350 to finish cooking. You get a blistered, crispy, puffed up, chewy crust that tastes great.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Nanette said...

Thanks Vincent - I'll check out your web site very soon!

Nanette said...

Andrea, I will try your method soon although I admit I keep breaking my pizza stones. LOL I can get my oven a little hotter than 450 but I dream of a brick pizza oven some day.

Nanette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails