Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Easy Chipotle Salsa

I'm starting to prep for the Rick Bayless Top Chef Masters tamales I am making tomorrow. I couldn't find everything at the store so I've had to make a few substitutions. I'm excited about trying the masa from Pro's Ranch for the first time.



His recipe calls for a small amount of pureed chipotle salsa so I decided to make it myself.




Easy Chipotle Salsa

This salsa is medium hot but as always the heat of chiles varies from one batch to the next. It would be terrific to jazz up some basic bean burritos.

Makes about 2 c./ 8 (1/4 c.) servings

1 white onion, peeled and thickly sliced
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 (15 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 chipotle in adobo sauce, about 1 1/2 Tbsp.
1/4 tsp. sea salt or to taste

Place onion and garlic in a dry cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, turning occasionally, for 4 - 5minutes or until lightly browned. Put in food processor bowl along with tomatoes and chipotle. Puree until smooth. Salt to taste.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 22 Calories; trace Fat (3.5% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 84mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable.




Here is this week's Los Poblanos Organics CSA box with all the ingredients for ratatouille (There are 4 zucchini behind the eggplant). My favorite ratatouille recipe is Fine Cooking's Roasted Ratatouille. I'll either serve it over polenta or in the crepes from Vegan Brunch.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm very interested to see the results of your Bayless meal, I've been enjoying watching him on TC Masters for sure.

Nanette said...

Erin, isn't Top Chef Masters fun? I wish they'd show the dishes longer so I could get better ideas for presenting food.

Related Posts with Thumbnails