Tuesday, August 4, 2009

English Muffin Experiments

I have been feeling sorry for myself as a bread baking addict because it is too hot to turn on the oven. It wasn't until this weekend that I realized I could make English muffins on the stovetop. This first photo shows the whole wheat English muffins from the excellent book Great Whole Grain Breads by Beatrice Ojakangas. These took some time with 3 risings and I really liked them but DH is a tougher sell with whole grain items.




For the second attempt, I did an adaptation of the no-knead English muffins with cornmeal and oats from the same book. Wow - they were excellent and really easy. I'll type up my adaptation of the recipe for you later this week. The muffins are used here in the Tofu Benny recipe from the new cookbook Vegan Brunch although my photo is not as beautiful as the one in the book.



I can't believe Farmer Monte apologized for giving us fresh basil again this week in our CSA newsletter - there is no such thing as too much basil in my world. There is, however, too much broccoli and I still haven't used the broccoli from last week so I'll have to blanch the florets and freeze for a later date.
I added extra berries to the CSA box so now I have raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. They're going in a special Rick Bayless recipe I'm making tomorrow for the next episode of Top Chef Masters. Actually I'm doing an entire Bayless menu but more about that in the next post.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails