Friday, August 21, 2009

Green Chile Veggie Burger

Recently the Food Network's Bobby Flay was in San Antonio, New Mexico for a green chile cheeseburger throwdown. (He lost.) This apparently got the NM Dept. of Tourism people thinking and they've decided to do a map of all the greatest places to get a green chile cheeseburger (including veggie burgers) throughout the state. You can nominate your favorite burger HERE.

While I've had green chiles on a veggie burger at Kelly's in Nob Hill (Albuquerque), I really like my own version the best. I used an Amy's Bistro veggie burger, whole wheat bun, a slice of American non-dairy rice cheese (Galaxy brand), tomato, onion, lettuce, and some Vegenaise mixed with chipotle powder. On the Throwdown show they used chopped green chiles but I vastly prefer bigger chunks of whole green chiles on my burgers.



Here are the Braised Sweet Peppers stuffed with Rice and Vegetables by Top Chef Masters contestant Hubert Keller. I found this recipe on his web site but there is no direct link. Click on Enter Secrets of a Chef, then Recipes, then Season 1 and you'll find the PDF download of the recipe under the Palate of Peppers show. I thought this dish was a bit underseasoned but it could be the bland discount kalamata olives I used. I do love his idea of baking the peppers in a bath of vegetable broth and will definitely use that idea again.



Finally, here is what I did with many of the veggies from my CSA box last week. I made Fine Cooking's Roasted Ratatouille again to fill the Whole Wheat Crepes from Vegan Brunch. The sauce is a combo of silken tofu and my homemade basil-sunflower pesto; the sauce would have looked better inside the crepes I think.



3 comments:

KAnn said...

The burger looks fantastic...Amy's bistro burger and the California burger are my favorites. And mixing chipolte in with the Veganniase is a great ideas, too.

Nanette said...

Thanks KAnn! I keep trying to follow you on twitter using kanncooks and twitter keeps telling me you don't exist. It is the strangest thing. I will keep at it though.

Erin said...

I've never had or even heard of a green chile cheeseburger, but it sounds amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails