Friday, August 14, 2009

Pinto Bean Puree with Jalapeno and Lime

A long time ago I took a macrobiotic cooking class in a church basement. One of the things we made was hummus. It was a standard garbanzo bean hummus but the instructor had us top the hummus with diced tomatoes, onions, and parsley which really made the dish for me. Ever since then whenever I do any type of bean puree or dip I add all sorts of toppings.



Pinto Bean Puree with Jalapeno and Lime

Makes about 1 3/4 c./ 7 (1/4 c.) servings



1 (15 oz. ) can no-salt-added pinto beans, such as Whole Foods 365 brand
Juice of 1/2 a lime (about 1 1/2 Tbsp.)
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp. sea salt or to taste
1 tsp. canola oil
Toppings:
1 small tomato, halved and sliced
2 Tbsp. pickled jalapeno rings
1 Tbsp. thinly sliced white onion
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
Tortilla chips for serving

Puree pintos, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, salt and oil in a food processor until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Spread into a shallow serving dish and add toppings. Serve with the tortilla chips of your choice.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 101 Calories; 1g Fat (10.2% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 174mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat.

In the continuing tour of my kitchen, I submit my dried chile drawer. It is by far the most aromatic part of my kitchen.



Tomorrow is the highlight of my culinary year. And no I don't mean Julia Child's Birthday. The big burlap bags of Hatch chile peppers have just arrived in Albuquerque. We're procuring two 30 lb. bags of beautiful roasted meaty green chiles to last us until the next harvest. I'll get lots of photos.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails