Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rick Bayless Menu

Did anyone see Top Chef Masters last night? I was so thrilled to see that they did a vegan, gluten-free, soy-free menu. I found a few of the recipes online already and will definitely be trying them very soon.

The winning recipe - Michael Chiarello's Quinoa Pasta with Salsa Verde, Gremolata and Tomatoes

Rick Bayless' Corn Tamales with Chile-Braised Beans, Braised Greens, and Glazed Mushrooms - This one I'll make next Wednesday for viewing the next episode of Top Chef Masters as I have a ton of masa in the freezer.

Anyway, for last night's episode I decided to do a tv viewing menu of Rick Bayless recipes from his web site.




The salad is Grilled Vegetable Salad with Chamoy Dressing; I grilled fresh corn, eggplant, green beans, poblano chiles, bell peppers, and red onion. The morita chiles I have are quite hot so I only used one for the dressing of lime juice, apricot fruit spread, and chile.

My favorite item of the evening was the Yucatecan Pumpkinseed Dip. I didn't have a habanero chile so I used a Thai bird chile instead. The chips are the Garlicky Black Pepper Tortilla Chips.



I have to admit being quite nervous to try his Michelada. I saw him do this drink on his show but wasn't sure about the combo of beer, hot sauce, and lime juice with a salt rim on the glass. I only did a tiny salt rim on the glass but it turns out we both loved it - is a very refreshing drink on a hot summer evening. I will get some vegetarian Worcestershire sauce at Whole Foods to add next time I make it. I also meant to do the Fresh Lime Ice with Berries but alas I forgot to pre-freeze my ice cream make cannister.




I just realized I hadn't put a photo of my house rabbit Bubbles on this blog yet. The rabbit rescuer found her at a feed store where she somehow lost a back toe. Bubbles hates having her photo taken so most of my photos of her are blurry as she is leaving the scene. She loves to chew so I buy her lots of bunny-safe chew toys.

3 comments:

Bill Koslosky, MD said...

Thanks for the good coverage of this episode, and all the recipes.

I linked to this post with my blog.

Nanette said...

Thanks so much for the link Bill!

Otehlia said...

I enjoy your blog, and love New Mexico! thanks for giving me a taste of the Southwest!

Related Posts with Thumbnails