Thursday, August 13, 2009

Rick Bayless' Vegan Tamales



Here are the Corn Tamales with Chile-Braised Beans and Glazed Mushrooms from Rick Bayless for Top Chef Masters. Instead of banana leaves I decided to use fresh corn husks to wrap the tamales. I probably needed the husks from 5 ears of corn to make the tamales.



I soaked the husks before assembly and used about 2 Tbsp. masa combo for each tamale. The recipe made 22 tamales. I added some slivers of green onions to each tamale but honestly you couldn't even tell.




I put some of the chipotle salsa (my recipe from yesterday) on the tamales for photography purposes but they were better without the salsa. We really loved the sweetness of these tamales from adding the sweet corn to the fresh masa.

I re-watched the episode and I don't think the recipe given is exactly what he did on the show. He mentions using ancho chiles and a Oaxacan smoked chile similar to the chipotle for the beans and Zooey also mentioned the smokiness of the beans. In the recipe given it specifies ancho and pasilla chiles but I'm thinking the Oaxacan smoked chile he used might have been the mora or morita chile?? That is the only smoked chile I know other than the chipotle.

We both loved the warm beans with the lime-coated salad greens (Romaine because I couldn't find frisee) mixed right in. The glazed mushrooms (button because I couldn't find fresh shiitake) were also delicious and sweet. Actually they were the only thing smoky in the dish because they used the chipotle salsa and agave nectar for the glaze.

Next Wednesday for Top Chef I'm hoping to do the Michael Chiarello quinoa spaghetti dish if I can round up all of the ingredients. That recipe on the Bravo tv web site is also different than the one he did on the show because he talked about adding preserved Meyer lemons to the dish but they are not in the recipe.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

f the foods were even half as wonderful as the photos they must have been amazing.

Nanette said...

Andrea, it was a great meal! Even better, I didn't feel guilty after eating it. Usually when I make meals from celebrity chefs they are pretty high in fat.

VeganCraftastic said...

So cool, I just watched that episode last night! My husband and I couldn't decide what sounded and looked better, the tamales or the pasta. And thanks for posting, I had no ideas the recipes were available!

DK & The Fluffies said...

Mom and I simply call Michael - The Italian. We have a wee bit of lustfull desire for him... his COOKING... Yeah... his cooking.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Tamales are such comfort food. I usually get them at our local farmers' market from this little Mexican food stand that makes the most amazing food.

Nanette said...

VeganCraftastic, I'm looking forward to trying the pasta although I suspect it will take longer to make than the tamales.

Nanette said...

DKM I totally understand! I feel the same way about Eric Ripert! (swoon)

Nanette said...

Susan, tamales really are wonderful and comforting. I still have yet to try any dessert tamales.

Related Posts with Thumbnails