Sunday, August 30, 2009

Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen

A friend who grew up in Mexico City is an amazing cook. I'm still working on getting his chiles rellenos recipe; after batter-frying the stuffed chiles he boils them in a tomato-chile sauce and they don't fall apart. He was the one who taught me about migas. After every party he uses the leftover tortilla chips and homemade salsa and scrambles eggs with them for a wonderful breakfast. So when I found a recipe for Vegan Migas in the wonderful Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen I was thrilled.

After years of effort, this is the first time I've managed to find a scrambled tofu recipe DH will eat. I love this recipe so much I've made it twice in the last week. I double the corn tortillas and use about 1 c. diced Hatch green chile instead of the jalapeno. She has a ranchera sauce that is supposed to go with the dish but so far I've just served it with copious amounts of my beloved Valentina hot sauce.



I really like this cookbook, especially that she offers vegan options whenever possible and wine suggestions for each dish. Here is the Pasta and Chickpeas with Plenty of Parsley and Garlic which calls for whole wheat pasta. I accidentally used a pound of pasta instead of 3/4 lb. specified in the recipe.



Here is her Skillet-Seared Tofu which is cooked in a pretty hot skillet and then finished off with soy sauce.


4 comments:

KAnn said...

These dishes look fantastic, Nanette. This is one of the few classic cookbooks that I don't have in my library but need to buy. I love Deborah Madison...there was an interview in the Santa Fean or New Mexico magazine not too long ago about her. I haven't felt real well the past week (allergies) and haven't cooked much. Did a fabulous peach cobbler this past weekend. (vegan) You are giving me much needed inspiration!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Her recipes are always so fuss-free yet flavorful. That tofu looks so good.

Nanette said...

I've had allergies too KAnn - it is so annoying! Your vegan peach cobbler sounds wonderful!

Nanette said...

Susan, I can't wait to try more recipes from the book - there is an interesting zucchini frittata-like dish that can be done with tofu.

Related Posts with Thumbnails