Tuesday, August 25, 2009

White Spelt Waffles with Lemon



Happy National Waffle Day! Today is the anniversary of the day Cornelius Swarthout of Troy, New York applied for a patent for a device that makes waffles in 1869. We can also thank the Pilgrims and Thomas Jefferson for bringing waffle techniques to our country. If you forget to celebrate National Waffle Day don't despair because March 25th is International Waffle Day.

My old waffle maker recently bit the dust so I purchased this inexpensive Cuisinart model. Because I love all sorts of crazy waffle batters, I figured a Belgian waffle maker (most of the models these days seem to be Belgian wafflers) wouldn't be the best choice. I'm really happy with my choice so far.



White Spelt Waffles with Lemon
Serves 4

White spelt flour is not a whole grain flour but I do love the flavor. These waffles are crispy with a hint of sweetness.

1 c. white spelt flour
1/4 c. unbleached white flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 c. unsweetened soymilk or water

In a mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl mix agave nectar, oil, lemon zest and soymilk. Stir flour mixture with wet mixture until just combined.
Heat up waffle maker to medium-high. (I used the 3 1/2 setting on a 5 setting waffle maker.) Ladle batter to about 1" from the edge of your waffle maker and cook until golden brown and crispy. Keep waffles warm by putting in a single layer directly on the baking racks of a low oven.

Serve with warm maple syrup and lots of fresh fruit. Here I am using strawberries and donut peaches from our CSA box this week.

No nutritional analysis today because MasterCook 9 doesn't list white spelt flour and I don't have the original package to add the info manually.


1 comment:

christine said...

The photos looks good, I bet they taste even better. Love this recipe. Thanks for sharing. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails