Saturday, September 26, 2009

Chipotle Black Bean Soup

I love soup and I love trying new soup recipes. Even with all this soup love, I still turn to the same five soup recipes to make again and again (Minestrone, White Bean Soup, the Sopa de Fideos recipe from Fiesta Vegan, Won Ton Soup, and Chipotle Black Bean Soup).

Chipotle Black Bean Soup

This soup improves with re-heating so I make it in the morning of the day I'm serving it. Then I let it cool and re-heat it for dinner.

Although I put a dried whole chipotle in the photo, I prefer chipotles canned in adobo sauce for this recipe. (Herdez is my favorite brand.) After I open a new can I freeze the entire contents in a ziploc bag. You can also puree the contents before freezing but be aware that chipotles like all other red chiles can stain anything plastic they come into contact with.

Serves 8



1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled & diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano, crushed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
2 (15 oz.) cans no-salt added black beans, drained
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
Sea salt to taste
Garnish: Rajas (Strips of roasted and peeled green chile)

Over medium heat in a heavy stockpot saute onions, carrots, and celery in oil until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add oregano, garlic, and chipotle and continue cooking another 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.


Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 174 Calories; 2g Fat (11.8% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 30mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
Here's a beautiful rose from the garden of our friends Rod & Joelle. They live in a beautiful Spanish territorial-style home in Valencia County with a large animal menagerie.


4 comments:

Deborah (aka Mt. Mom) said...

That *is* a beautiful rose!

I, too, love to make soups and stews -- except when the house is hot in summer. Still trying new recipes, though. Alot of my old favorites went out of favor when I went dairy-free about 6 years ago. I'd like to find the "perfect" creamy potato soup! (Sometimes just substituting soy milk/yogurt/tofutti isn't sufficient, ya' know?) Bean soups usually go over well with one of my 2 girls; perhaps I can try this one! Thanks, Nanette.

Andrea said...

I love soups, too, especially thick and spicy ones. Yours sound delicious, particularly the black bean with chipotle in adobo sauce. The soup looks really nice in that wide-rimmed white bowl.

Nanette said...

Deborah, I also rarely do soup in summer. I have been meaning to try Silk's soy creamer in soup to make something really creamy - one of these days.

Nanette said...

Thanks Andrea! I just read another review of "Love Soup" so I can't wait to get it and start trying it out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails