Saturday, September 5, 2009

New Mexico Wine Festival at Bernalillo



Today we attended the New Mexico Wine Festival at Bernalillo. Everyone received a commemorative wine glass with their $10 admission. The festival featured 20 wineries from New Mexico along with a section of food vendors and other NM products.



I seriously loved the first band, Atomic Cat. They played some Stevie Ray Vaughan and it was great to sit down in the shade and cool off.



I took this photo right when we arrived at noon when they opened the gates. By the time we left the lines were really long for the free tastings at every winery. I sampled a wine made from chokecherries (very, very tart), a really good Sangiovese from Ponderosa Winery near Jemez, and several different Cabernet Sauvignons.

I brought home a bottle of Red Chile Cabernet Sauvignon from Anderson Valley in Los Ranchos de Albuquerque. I'm always amazed at how well chiles pair with various things - for instance, I love the combo of chipotle chiles with dark chocolate and I've enjoyed both red and green chile beers. The red chile in the wine was subtle and delicious but the best part was the chile kick at the back of your throat after taking a sip. I'm going to save it for our Thanksgiving tamale feast where it will be a wonderful addition.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Looks like a cool event. Chile wine sounds very interesting!

Nanette said...

Erin, the chile wine was much better than the chokecherry wine I tasted. I nearly tried some wine made from cranberries but the line was too long.

Related Posts with Thumbnails