Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cranberry Waldorf Salad



I love this time of year. We don't have a lot of fall color here but I always get in a great mood when I sense the quality of the light changing. Plus I love all the foods of autumn. Farmer Monte writes in the latest newsletter that Los Poblanos Organics is going to start offering an extra fruit addition to the CSA boxes with 4 or 5 different fruits for $9.99; we can either add the extra fruits permanently or just add them to the box on a one-time basis via the web site. I will probably do it once or twice to inspire me in my holiday baking or if we have guests.

I keep cranberries in my freezer year-round because my pet house rabbit Bubbles eats a few every single day. She'll actually eat them still frozen but I do have to cut them in half so she can grab them easily. Here's a version of a recipe in 'Tis the Season that can be done with fresh or thawed frozen cranberries.





CRANBERRY WALDORF SALAD

Serves 6

This recipe doubles easily (the above shot shows half the salad as written) and is served chilled. Sweet apples like Gala or Delicious work best. If you use thawed frozen cranberries your salad will be a little pinker.

1 c. fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, halved
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
2 large apples, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. Vegenaise or other non-dairy mayonnaise

Toss the cranberries with the agave nectar to mix. Sprinkle the sliced apples with lemon juice. Mix the cranberries and apples with remaining ingredients. Cover and chill an hour before serving.



Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 200 Calories; 13g Fat (63.5% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails