Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hatch Green Chile Stew



Hatch Green Chile Stew

Serves 8

Be sure to use mild green chiles for this hearty stew. I like to serve it with warmed flour tortillas. This stew is topped with cilantro and chopped scallions but you can also use tofu sour cream, green olives, or shredded soy cheese.

2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
8 c. homemade vegetable stock
4 c. roasted, peeled, and chopped Hatch green chiles
1 green tomato, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp. sea salt or to taste

In a large stockpot, saute onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add oregano and cumin and continue to cook for another minute. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.





Fall has finally arrived at our casita.







Here are a few of my other chile pepper blog posts:

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm such a wuss when it comes to peppers and spicy foods... but your food looks beautiful! and the fall pictures do, too.

Maria Killam said...

Looks so good! Love your header!

Nanette said...

Bonnie, the mild Hatch chiles really don't have that much heat. On the other hand, I doubt I'd be able to eat a spoonful of the stew if I made it with the extra hot Hatch green chiles. :)

Nanette said...

Bonnie, the mild Hatch chiles really don't have that much heat. On the other hand, I doubt I'd be able to eat a spoonful of the stew if I made it with the extra hot Hatch green chiles. :)

Nanette said...

Thanks Maria!

N. Maria said...

This is a really nice cooking blog! I love Hatch Green Chilies and your stew looks and sounds wonderful!
Maria H in WA

Unknown said...

Hi! I just shared your recipe on EverydayOpera.com 's FB page. I will be making Green Chile Stew tonight!
Used to live in Alb. not we live in San Diego.

Related Posts with Thumbnails