Sunday, November 1, 2009

Black Bean Tostada Burgers


I have been watching a vegetarian cooking show on the Hope Channel (channel 368 on Direct TV). Recently I realized they had more programming of interest to vegetarians including a show featuring Dr. John McDougall. He endorses a vegan low-fat diet and I have been re-reading some of his books for more recipe ideas. I do try to eat really healthy at home this time of year to try to counter out all the splurging I do at holiday events.

I found this recipe for Black Bean Tostada Burgers in an old Shape magazine. The burgers are meant to be grilled with the tortillas in a foil packet but I just browned them in a cast iron skillet with a bit of cooking spray. I omitted the oil in the salsa and was out of avocados so my version was even lower fat. I subbed a slice of whole wheat bread crumbled in the food processor for the panko.







They were really good! The next time I make these I'm going to add some smoked paprika to the black bean mixture.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails