Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My 2009 Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu


The view from Bernalillo, NM looking toward the Sandia Mountains last weekend






(Edited so say that this lovely lady is not on my holiday menu - this is what happens when I'm in a hurry to post. sigh)  I sponsored Bubbles the turkey from the Farm Sanctuary's Adopt-a-Turkey program. I had to pick her because she has the same name as my pet house rabbit and they both share a love of eating vegetables. (I also like that they allowed me to ask that my name wouldn't be on their mailing list; I'm cutting down on my mail and I prefer to donate online. )

My veggie Thanksgiving Menu is pretty much set and I'll make sure to get photos of the spread. We're going with a southwestern theme as we usually do. I've kept everything pretty simple except the tamales which will be quite labor-intensive.

Red Chile Hummus w/Veggies (recipe from one of the Santa Fe School of Cooking cookbooks - it is just a basic garbanzo/garlic/lemon/tahini hummus with the addition of 1 Tbsp. Chimayo chile powder)

My Fresh Masa Tamales - not sure of the fillings yet but I'll do some in banana leaves and some in corn husks

Rick Bayless' Red Chile Sauce - DH will make this fortunately

Eating Well's Green Bean Salad with Basil, Corn, and Olives  - this is a killer salad and quite colorful when I add some roasted red peppers

Sweet Potato Tumbleweeds - another SF School of Cooking recipe - it is just thin strips of sweet potato tossed with ancho chile, cinnamon and cloves and baked in foil packets. I'll veganize it by using non-hydrogenated Earth Balance instead of butter.

Really easy empanaditas - jam or fruit spread or pumpkin butter inside of puff pastry and baked in little bitty triangles and sprinkled with cinnamon or powdered sugar

Mango Sorbet from Whole Foods - too lazy to make it myself this year

Sparkling Cider and the bottle of local  Anderson Valley Red Chile Cabernet Sauvignon I bought at the NM Wine Festival

That's about it - I may add some green chile risotto if I feel ambitious.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM BEAUTIFUL NEW MEXICO!






11 comments:

Chery said...

I didn't get my invite in the mail... have a good Thanksgiving meal. How will you fix your turkey? Sounds really good.

Nanette said...

Hi Chery! Everyone's invited to the feast of course!

Oh geez - it does sound like Bubbles the turkey is part of dinner doesn't it. No, she lives at the sanctuary and gets a big dish of veggies for Thanksgiving dinner. I'll go edit that - serves me right for trying to blog in a hurry!

Michelle C. said...

I'm off to check my Santa Fe Cooking School book for that sweet potato tumbleweed recipe!

And I have a tub of Chimayo chile powder that I need to introduce to my hummus recipe.....

DK & The Fluffies said...

What time should I be there?

Anonymous said...

I discovered your cooking blog from your knitting blog that I like a lot, especially to see pictures of your beautiful
rabbit(s)! Thank you for sharing the address, I did "adopt " a turkey and I'm forwarding it!

MarieW on Ravelry

Nanette said...

DKM, I'm sure Bubbles would love to meet you. She's been on a bunny diet so if you bring treats she'll love you forever.

Nanette said...

Michelle C., both recipes are in the second SF School of Cooking Cookbook called Southwest Flavors - with the green chiles on the front.

Nanette said...

Thanks MarieW! I need to post more photos of Bubbles the rabbit.

Michelle C. said...

Hi Nanette,

Thanks for the note - I do have the SF Cooking School book with the tumbleweed recipe. It looks like a very refreshing change from the usual sweet potato casserole or mash.

Nanette said...

Michelle C., the sweet potato tumbleweed recipe was really good so definitely try it!

Nanette said...

Michelle C., the sweet potato tumbleweed recipe was really good so definitely try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails