Thursday, December 17, 2009

Luscious Lemon Cake

My favorite source of healthy recipes is from an unlikely book - Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., MD. I've never even read the heart disease part; I bought it for the recipes. I also have the Ornish and McDougall books but the Esselstyn book has the low-fat, plant-based recipes I like the most. There are 150 in the cookbook so it is definitely worth buying just for that purpose. So far I've made mostly desserts but the easy Black Bean-Oatmeal Burgers are my new favorite homemade veggie burgers. They're baked and then broiled.


Yesterday I made the Luscious Lemon Cake which uses applesauce instead of fat. I subbed unbleached flour for the whole wheat flour. After the cake is baked you sprinkle the juice of half a lemon and some sugar (I used demerara) on top. I thought it was probably my favorite no-added-fat dessert. The recipe is available in the message thread HERE; make sure you  keep reading because the poster forgot to add the lemon sugar topping in the 1st recipe post.



Also, I bought myself an early Christmas present - Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. I'll do an official review of it once I've made some of the cookies. I'm trying to buy cookbooks for the Kindle instead of print versions lately. The cover seen on my Kindle is by M-Edge - they have lots of synthetic leather Kindle covers at Amazon in various colors that stand up on their own so you can easily cook from the book.




4 comments:

KAnn said...

The cake looks very good! I think you will be very impressed with Vegan Cookies. I look forward to your review!

Deborah (aka Mt. Mom) said...

I was just going to ask about that cover/stand on your Kindle -- been wondering since I saw the photo in a previous post. M-Edge you say. . . . (I don't have a Kindle, but I periodically consider getting one. A stand might make a difference in its utility.)

I've made (and liked) a lemon-topped "healthful" cake that involves chickpeas. That recipe came from Jean Carper's "Food Pharmacy" cookbook; she, in turn, got it from a Mexican recipe in "The Brilliant Bean".

Nanette said...

KAnn, I hope to review it soon. But I need to wait to start baking zillions of cookies until I have houseguests or something or else I will eat them all myself!

Nanette said...

Deb, I seriously love my Kindle and have talked several people into buying one. Email me if you have any questions or check the Kindle Boards at http://www.kindleboards.com for more info.

I have never tried beans in cake before but now you have me intrigued! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails