Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Barbecue Sloppy Joes




This easy and tasty sandwich with no added fat is a combination of a vegetarian Sloppy Joe and a barbecue sandwich.

Barbecue Sloppy Joes

Serves 6

I try  to find the lowest sodium tomato products, beans, breads, and barbecue sauce for this recipe because it can really add up. For the sloppy joes in the photograph, I used Amy's Hot Chipotle Barbecue Sauce which is indeed hot. Taste the bean mixture before serving. Depending on how sweet your barbecue sauce is, you might want to add 1 tsp. agave nectar.

Vegetable Cooking Spray
1 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
8 oz. no-salt-added tomato sauce
15 oz. no-salt-added kidney beans, well-drained
15 oz. no-salt-added pinto beans, well-drained
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine if you don't have smoked)
6 whole wheat hamburger buns

In a large saute pan sprayed with vegetable cooking spray, saute the onion for 2 minutes, stirring occasionaly. Add garlic and carrot and continue sauteing for another 3 minutes. Add beans, vinegar, chili powder and smoked paprika and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens slightly. If desired, mash the mixture with a bean mixture. Top buns with bean mixture. (I occasionally spread the hamburger buns with a small amount of vegenaise before serving.)

I wanted to show you my beloved bean masher which I use often. Actually I even prefer it for mashing potatoes to my potato masher. Check your local Mexican grocer; I bought mine for several dollars at Pro's Ranch Market in Albuquerque.




Here is our CSA bounty for the week. Those sugar plum tomatoes are from Jacobs Farm, Del Cabo. Farmer Monte wrote of his recent visit to them in one of our CSA newsletters - apparently they are a co-op of 400 organic and sustainable farm families in Baja. I'm planning on making tacos to use up the avocados and sugar plum tomatoes.



3 comments:

Sherilan said...

I checked out the vegan cookie book from the library - looks like a winner. I am happy that you can just forget the eggs, as replacer is a problem. Hope they taste as good as they look.

Nanette said...

Hi Sherilan! I still haven't tried any of the cookies but I will probably start with a chocolate chip.

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

Just found your blog! Your recipe looks good. I have another take on sloppy joes on my blog called sloppy lentils! Same deal. You should check it out: http://alison.blogsome.com/2009/06/22/monday-dinner-menu-planner-7/

Related Posts with Thumbnails