Friday, May 7, 2010

Four Weeknight Meals


Occasionally I like to spend a week cooking from one cookbook; in this case I used Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen. It is my favorite of her cookbooks because she offers a lot of vegan choices and I've always liked her emphasis on vegetables. I am looking forward to getting her brand new fruit dessert cookbook - I'm just waiting to see if it will be available in a Kindle version. I've added links to the recipes if they were already available somewhere online.


This is her Black Beans with Yellow Rice. I've made this dish before and it is a wonderful rice and bean combo good enough for a dinner party. This time I subbed out brown rice which meant I couldn't put the rice in cute molds so I just spread it out on top of the black beans. Her pickled red onions add a lot of color and zest to the meal. I topped this meal off with the Berry Scones from Vegan with a Vengeance and a spinach/corn/tomato salad.


This is the Stir-Fried Sesame Broccoli and Tofu with Glass Noodles. I realized at the last minute I was out of cellophane noodles so I subbed rice noodles. I served it with zucchini steamed until quite tender (I admit it, I love overcooked zucchini) and the Peanut Butter Crisscrosses from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.


Here is a photo of her Black Bean Tostadas with Slivered Cabbage, Avocado, and Pickled Onions. I ended up using my homemade whole wheat tortillas for these as I burnt the corn tortillas. sigh


This is her Hot Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes which I've also made before. I used the lovely cherry tomatoes from Del Cabo, that organic cooperative in Baja. I added strawberries from our CSA box and salad with sunflowers, fresh oranges, and red onion.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I just discovered your cooking blog is back - thank you! I really enjoy your recipes and pictures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails