Thursday, December 16, 2010

Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookie Bites


I'm a huge fan of the Frontier Coop baking extracts. I own most of them and use them all the time in everything from muffins to smoothies to hot drinks. They are so much tastier than the store-bought extracts I used to buy.

I've been craving the combination of chocolate and peppermint lately. I nearly told DH to bring home a box of Candy Cane Jo-Jos from Trader Joe's but managed to avoid temptation.
The craving continued and I realized I had some Frontier peppermint extract. I knew I had to make some cookies. Because of the whole wheat pastry flour they are a bit healthier than your average cookie plus I make them smaller to discourage overeating.


 
Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookie Bites





Makes about 44 small cookies

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (Trader Joe's version are dairy-free I think)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup soymilk or other non-dairy milk
1/3 cup agave nectar or brown rice syrup
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two baking sheets with vegetable cooking spray. Mix flours, chips, baking powder, soda and sea salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl mix soymilk, sweetener, oil and peppermint extract. Stir wet ingredients into dry.

Transfer heaping teaspoonfuls of dough onto prepared cookie sheet. (These cookies don't spread out while baking so you can put them an inch apart.) Bake 8-10 minutes or until tops of cookies are just browned. Cool on wire rack and try to resist.




Here's a photo of a birthday breakfast I made recently for DH. I made the vegan migas from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Suppers with more tortillas, green olives, and chiles, my Papas Con Chile Colorado from Fiesta Vegan, Isa's Best Pumpkin Muffins, my Easy Chipotle Salsa, and freshly squeezed orange juice.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails