Monday, December 27, 2010

Potatoes Two Ways


Here is our simple Christmas breakfast. I read somewhere about grating potatoes and putting them in a waffle maker and this is now my new favorite hash brown method. Next time I'm going to add in some grated sweet potatoes or winter squash. Also on the plate is a simple fruit salad of grapefruit, oranges, kiwi, and raisins and the wonderful Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches from Fatfree Vegan.

HERB-ROASTED TRI-COLOR POTATOES

The last few weeks we've received red white and blue potatoes in our CSA box. I watched the Barefoot Contessa in London Christmas special and she made these gorgeous sliced potatoes. I didn't read her recipe before I made the potatoes the first time but I remembered her method for cutting the potatoes. After making the recipe the first time I went to look at her recipe. I used 2 Tbsp olive oil and she used 1/3 cup; I used 1/2 tsp. sea salt and she used 4 teaspoons for the same amount of potatoes. The first time I made them I used rosemary but this time I used a combo of fresh thyme and fresh savory which I preferred. I also was glad I used a cast iron frying pan to roast them instead of a cookie sheet because they do splatter. But this recipe is pretty versatile; the  neat thing is the way the potatoes are cut.
 


1 1/2 to 2 lbs. small red, white, and blue potatoes, well-scrubbed
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. sea salt or to taste
2 Tbsp. minced mixed fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, chives, or savory
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.

Scrub potatoes well. Cut a slice on the bottom of each potato so they will stand up. Carefully cut a slice every 1/4" on the top of the potatoes as shown. In the original recipe she just cut a slice (and they will open a bit during roasting) but I actually cut out a sliver so you could better see the pretty blue interior of the blue potatoes and so the minced herbs will fall in the sliced sections. In her recipe she says use a spoon to cut the potatoes to ensure you don't cut all the way through but I didn't do that (and yes, I accidentally cut through one).

Put potatoes sliced side up in a cast iron skillet. Add olive oil and mix so that oil completely covers each potato. Bake for 15 minutes. Add herbs and salt to taste. Bake another 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and bottoms of potatoes are golden brown.  
 
 

4 comments:

Rose said...

That's a great idea with the waffle maker...I wish I had one now...those are my kind of "waffles"!

The tri color potatoes are gorgeous.

Nanette said...

Thanks Rose - I saw Bobby Flay make French toast on a waffle maker recently so apparently there are many uses to waffle makers!

Nanette said...

Thanks Rose - I saw Bobby Flay make French toast on a waffle maker recently so apparently there are many uses to waffle makers!

Nanette said...

Thanks Rose - I saw Bobby Flay make French toast on a waffle maker recently so apparently there are many uses to waffle makers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails