Thursday, December 2, 2010

Shepherd's Pie

Because I'm in a year-round CSA, I am always looking for good ways to use up stray vegetables. We eat a green salad daily and I make a lot of soups but I still end up with extra vegetables.

Shepherd's Pie is one of my favorite ways to clean out the refrigerator. Shepherd's Pie is traditionally a casserole of ground meat and veggies topped with mashed potatoes but it really works well with just veggies. I've tried Shepherd's Pie many ways - with veggie meatballs, veggie burgers, TVP, etc but my favorite recipe is pretty basic. In a 9 by 13" casserole dish I dump a can of pinto beans, a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, some frozen peas and corn, and whatever else I can find. In this case I had some extra diced pumpkin and collard greens so I steamed them both lightly and added them to the dish.



Then I top the whole shebang with as much mashed potatoes as I can fit and bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes. We don't buy non-dairy margarines a lot but when we do have it we put some on top before baking.  DH likes to eat his Shepherd's Pie with plenty of Valentina hot sauce.



5 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Thanks for coming by to visit me! ;) How did you like the soup? I am making another batch today. yum!

This is the most colorful and gorgeous shepherds pie I have ever seen. So lovely!!

Nanette said...

Thanks Sarah! I loved the soup and I thought it tasted even better the next day. Thanks for the recipe!

Nanette said...

Thanks Sarah! I loved the soup and I thought it tasted even better the next day. Thanks for the recipe!

Nanette said...

Thanks Sarah! I loved the soup and I thought it tasted even better the next day. Thanks for the recipe!

Nanette said...

Thanks Sarah! I loved the soup and I thought it tasted even better the next day. Thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts with Thumbnails