Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Lot of Veggie Burgers

I bought the Kindle version of Lukas Volger's Veggie Burgers Every Which Way a while ago but I hadn't tried any of the recipes until recently. And now I'm hooked! A lot of the recipes use eggs for binders but I do think I will have success if I use Crescent Dragonwagon's Eggscellence egg replacer with liquid lecithin recipe from The Cornbread Gospels. Right now I'm working my way through the vegan burgers in the book.

The book includes grain-based burgers, nut-based burgers, bean-based burgers, vegetable-based burgers, and burgers made from soy foods. There's also a chapter on homemade burger buns, sides and fries, and condiments. For each burger he offers some fun and unusual ideas for toppings and condiments. For the Curried Eggplant and Tomato Burgers for example he suggests topping with a curried tomato relish and frizzled shallots (recipes included.) There are gorgeous color photos of a lot of the burgers.


Here are the Beet and Brown Rice Burgers served with pickled red onions on marbled rye bread. This recipe is just a revelation - I'd never in a million years think that the ingredients mixed together would come up with such a delicious veggie burger. I will be making this recipe for years to come whenever we get beets in our CSA box. I found a review of the book that includes the Beet and Brown Rice Burger recipe for those of you who want to try it out.

 

I made the Asian-inspired Tofu and Chard Burgers last night. I subbed collard greens for the chard and panko for the toasted breadcrumbs. He offers a sweet sesame glaze to put on top but I was in a rush and just used some Whole Foods 365 Teriyaki Sauce. These burgers were also excellent.


Here are the Seeded Edamame Burgers with Brown Rice and Apples cooking on the Griddler. I like the idea of adding sweet stuff to veggie burgers but these were a little too mild tasting for me. The next time I make them I may add more soy sauce. He suggests topping these with pepper jelly and sliced radishes (neither of which I had) which sounds divine.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails