Monday, January 3, 2011

Organizing My Refrigerator

I don't have a pantry and my kitchen is packed to the gills with cooking appliances, pots and pans, and foods. Consequently I need to organize things on a regular basis to function well. Just this morning I really had to think a few minutes about where I'd put my English Muffin rings as I was in the process of making some sourdough English muffins. I do a lot of things to make my life easier like alphabetizing my spices and labeling everything.

Here are some photos of my refrigerator just after I returned from doing some serious shopping at Talin World Market and Sunflower Market. I have an Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator - it is my second Amana bottom-freezer refrigerator as DH persuaded me to include the old one in the sale of our former house. We eat so much produce that I greatly appreciate a bottom-freezer refrigerator so more of the fruits and veggies are stored nearer to eye level.



The middle shelf is devoted just to greens. We get a lot from our CSA and of course Bubbles our house rabbit eats quite a bit. The bottom right drawer contains flours as I have nowhere else in the kitchen to put them. I use the top deli drawer for things like tofu, nuts, and non-dairy cheeses.


Buying condiments is my weakness. I just realized from looking at this photo that there are four bottles of a Mexican soda that DH likes - they've been hogging valuable refrigerator real estate since last summer.


This bottom-freezer has a pull out drawer which is crammed full of stuff. I also have a small stand freezer in the laundry room but that is full of green chiles.


I have started to take over some shelving in the laundry room for my collection of bulk grains and beans.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Our fridges look a lot alike! I have to reorg on a regular basis too just to find stuff, and condiments are definitely a weakness of mine too! :)

Tina said...

This looks really neat! Will use old glass jars for the pantry drawer in the kitchen (pantry shelf is in the basement), why haven't I thought about this before???
Happy new year to you!
Tina in Germany

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Your refrigerator looks amazing. Wished mine looked that nice.

Nanette said...

Rose, I once heard a food writer call what we have "Condimania." I occasionally wish for a second refrigerator just for all my beloved condiments. LOL

Happy New Year Tina! I recycle the big glass jars from mayonnaise for my pantry.

Thanks Phyllis! It doesn't always look that nice I promise you! :)

Nanette said...

Rose, I once heard a food writer call what we have "Condimania." I occasionally wish for a second refrigerator just for all my beloved condiments. LOL

Happy New Year Tina! I recycle the big glass jars from mayonnaise for my pantry.

Thanks Phyllis! It doesn't always look that nice I promise you! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails