Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kohlrabi Before and After

Kohlrabi Before


If they grow vegetables on Mars, I'm pretty sure they have kohlrabi. These otherworldly specimens were in our CSA box yesterday. I compare kohlrabi to jicama - hard to cut and peel and not a lot of flavor. I've only ever used both veggies cut up raw with dip. But I decided to try something different today and made cole slaw (or should that be kohl slaw?).

First I peeled the kohlrabi as much as I could and was terribly disappointed that the pretty red kohlrabi was white inside. Then I chopped them into pieces and pulsed them in the food processor with a carrot (also from yesterday's CSA box). I added some diced red onion, Trader Joe's lowfat eggless mayo, white balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, agave nectar and some dried dillweed. Not bad at all!

Kohlrabi After

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love kohlrabi! Steamed or roasted is good too, it tastes like broccoli stem.

Charlotte said...

My mother used to peel the kohlrabi, slice it and cook it in a little water until it was fork tender. Then she'd drain it, add some butter, salt and pepper. It has a slightly sweet taste but can be kind of woody if too old or big.

Anonymous said...

Peel, slice thin, alternate with peeled, thinly sliced fresh carrots, simmer/sauté/steam with a bit of water&butter, season with salt & pepper . . . Absolutely Devine. Give it a try, we find a lot of kohlrabi at the farmers mkts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails