Thursday, May 26, 2011

Almost A Banana Split


When DH and I were dating he used to take me to this little place where you assembled your own banana splits. I remember using very little ice cream in mine so I would have more room for all the toppings. So this dessert is basically a banana split without the ice cream.


One unusual ingredient in this dessert is brown rice syrup. It is a bit pricey but worth it for the delicate, delicious caramel flavor. My favorite brand is Lundberg. You can make this without it of course by upping the chocolate chips. I've used semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips (check labels - not all are dairy-free) but you can certainly use other kinds. I've never tried this with carob chips or those molasses-sweetened chips but if they melt, they'll work.

Makes 1 serving

1 banana, thinly sliced
4 large strawberries, quartered
1 Tbsp. brown rice syrup
1 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp. chocolate chips
2 tsp. coconut flakes

Assemble bananas, strawberries, and walnuts on a serving dish. Put chocolate chips in a small ramekin and microwave on HIGH for about 45 seconds. All the chips will not be melted but keep stirring and they'll eventually all melt. Drizzle melted chocolate on top of fruit and nuts. Drizzle some brown rice syrup on top and sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails