Friday, July 29, 2011

I Love My Slow Cooker

A few months ago I purchased a new slow cooker. I immediately had buyer's remorse and worried I'd never use it, just like my previous very old Rival crockpot. Fortunately I was wrong. Probably the best thing about it is that I'm able to use it to cook dry beans. I live at a high altitude (about 7,000 feet) and before that the only way I could cook dry beans is my pressure cooker. I now prefer using the slow cooker because it is a lot easier to check the beans during cooking to get just the right texture.



I also purchased Robin Robertson's Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker which has been instrumental in getting us through this very hot desert summer. It is so nice to just toss stuff in the slow cooker rather than slaving over a hot stove or worse, turning on the oven. Here is a photo of her wonderful Slow-Fashioned Potpie with Biscuit Crust right after I added the biscuit topping before the additional cooking.




I just adore cooking stuffed peppers in the slow cooker - no more crunchy green peppers. The slow cooker steams them until they are perfectly tender. We started with the Stuffed Bell Peppers with Salsa Rice and Beans from the book but now stuff peppers with pretty much anything and everything.

Other recipes from the book I've tried and  recommend are: Enchilada-Inspired Polenta Pie, Zucchini Stuffed with Tomato, White Beans and Pesto, Layered Potatoes with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Five Layer Vegetable Strata with Pesto, Mediterranean Vegetable Stew, and the Almost Irish Stew. The only recipe from the book that did not turn out well was the Fudgy Chocolate Pudding Cake. It never set up even slightly, even with extra cooking time.  It could be my altitude.

2 comments:

Kearby's Kitchen said...

I love cooking beans in the slow cooker!

Nanette said...

Kearby, I have never been able to cook beans in slow cookers before at my altitude. I cook them on HIGH instead of low and that seems to work fortunately.

Related Posts with Thumbnails