Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Our Fourth of July Menu

I tried some new recipes for July 4th. The refrigerator garlic-dill pickles are from this recipe; like many in the comments I doubled the vinegar. I also added some turmeric and red pepper flakes. They were perfect after about 3 days of marinating and are my new favorite pickles. I served the corn on the cob my usual way - topped with a generous sprinkling of chipotle powder, some sea salt, and some fresh lime juice.  No need for any oils.



I also have been experimenting with making my own dairy-free mayonnaise. I have been using this recipe from Epicurvegan but substituting light coconut milk for the soy milk. It doesn't get as thick as commercial mayo but does thicken a bit in the refrigerator. I used the homemade mayo for the potato salad seen above.



The main dish was grilled portobello burgers. I used the recipe from Lukas Volger's veggie burger cookbook - the portobellos were marinated in a mixture of olive oil, rice wine vinegar, black pepper, and miso and then grilled. I did like them more than the usual balsamic marinade for portobellos. I used white miso but I think they'd be even better with a dark miso.

For dessert I made ice cream using light coconut milk. I buy the cans at Trader Joe's for 99 cents, keep them in the refrigerator so they're always chilled. I add about 1/4 c. liquid sweetener and whatever flavorings I like. Then I put the mixture in my Cuisinart ice cream maker until it is about the consistency of a soft serve ice cream. The photo below is a creamsicle flavored ice cream: 1 can light coconut milk, 3 Tbsp. light agave nectar, the strained juice of 2 oranges and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.



Another favorite ice cream is Mocha Ice cream: 1 can light coconut milk, about 1/4 c. agave nectar, 2 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1 packet of instant coffee, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract in the Cuisinart ice cream maker until thick.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails