Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cookbook Review: Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson

I received a temporary PDF copy of Robin Robertson's Quick-Fix Vegan from Netgalley. Robin Robertson is one of the most prolific vegan cookbook authors with over twenty cookbooks in print. She also wrote Quick-Fix Vegetarian in 2007. I used Amazon's look inside feature to check the older book and I didn't see any recipe repeats so I assume this is a completely new book.

Quick-Fix Vegan will be available for purchase in October according to Amazon. Chapters are: Starters and Snacks, Stovetop Suppers, Pasta Express, In Short Order, Speedy Salads, Snappy Sandwiches, Easy Make-Ahead Bakes, Sauces and Condiments, and (Almost) Effortless Desserts. There is a quick intro on how to set up a vegan pantry. The recipe collection includes some basics like Cream of Mushroom Soup with more unusual offerings like Seitan Forestiere.



Here are the Nicoise Salad Wraps. Sauteed tofu seasoned with soy sauce and balsamic vinegar is mixed with vegan mayonnaise, basil, roasted red peppers, shredded lettuce mixed with balsamic vinegar, oil, and sugar, and olive tapenade. Because I didn't have olive tapenade, I used her recipe to make my own. I liked these but because I also made the tapenade I thought they were a bit time-consuming for the finished result. 



The Black Bean Sunburgers were very easy; actually they were possibly the easiest veggie burgers I've ever made (other than slices of tofu or marinated whole portobellos).  I thought they were tasty and I liked that the sunflowers in them gave them a bit of a crunch.



Here is the Zucchini Frittata served with a tomato/olive/basil topping. It was absolutely delicious so I was disappointed it never set up. I cooked it longer both on the stovetop and under the broiler but it still had the consistency of scrambled eggs. The leftovers were excellent spooned on whole wheat toast.

I believe all the recipes I made were finished in under 30 minutes but they did involve some vegetable chopping and sauteing and a normal amount of dirty dishes to wash. If you are really in a hurry and only have 10-15 minutes to make dinner, check out Nava Atlas' The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet. I'd estimate the recipes in that book are about 90% vegan.

1 comment:

Robin at Vegan Planet said...

Thanks for the great review of my new cookbook. I'm so glad you like it. Your photos of the recipes are gorgeous! Not sure why the fritatta didn't set up for you. It sets up fine for me and also for my recipe testers. Only thing I can figure is there may have been some extra liquid in there from either the tofu or the zucchini? (Both need to have liquid well squeezed out before using). Hope it does better for you next time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails