Saturday, October 1, 2011

Vegan Mofo - Day One

I'm excited to be participating in VeganMoFo/Vegan Month of Food for the first time this year! Throughout this month I'll be trying recipes from different vegan cookbooks with mini-reviews of each cookbook. I hope to post at least every weekday.



One of DH's favorite meals is falafel and the Baked Falafel from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-fat Vegan Recipes is my favorite falafel recipe of all time. I really think it is better than fried falafel. Here it is served with her equally delicious Green Goddess Dressing in pita bread.




I have talked before here about how much I like this book. If you're seeking healthy vegan recipes, Appetite for Reduction should be on your bookshelf. There is a center section of color photos and all the recipes include a nutritional analysis. Some oil is used but it is minimal. One of the strengths of the book is the number of salad and salad dressing recipes which oddly enough I don't notice in many vegetarian cookbooks. There are no dessert recipes so look elsewhere if you're seeking lowfat cupcakes and cookies. I originally started with the Kindle version of this book but there were some typos so I returned it in for the print version.

The recipes I've tried and liked from the book include the Everyday Chickpea-Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette, Sushi Roll Edamame Salad with Green Onion Miso Vinaigrette, Caesar Salad with Eggplant Bacon and Caesar Chavez Dressing, Peanut-Lime Dragon Dressing, Caulipots, OMG Oven-Baked Onion Rings, Pizza Hummus, and Chili-Lime Rubbed Tofu.

10 comments:

jd said...

Better than fried falafel?! Sign me up. Like now!

I've had that recipe book-marked in my copy of Appetite for Reduction for ages; now I'm gonna have to try it for sure!

PS Happy VeganMoFo!

omgoshimvegan said...

I'm so excited I found your blog. Can't wait to read more. I have Appetite for Reduction and the few recipes I've made from it I've really enjoyed. Glad to hear you like it.

Kelly said...

I haven't tried the falafel from AfR, but my boyfriend is a big falafel fan, so I'll have to give it a shot!

Beans, Figs and Katz said...

We just made the baked falafel the other night, and it was delicious! Happy Vegan Mofo!

Karena said...

That looks delicious! I'll have to try Isa's falafel recipe the next time we indulge :) We had the Veggie Pot Pie Stew a few days ago and thought it was phenomenal.

Clare said...

I love the falafel from Vegan With A Vengeance so I've never felt the need to try this one. But you pictures could persuade me to try oh... anything(vegetarian)

Bonnie said...

That sandwich looks so yummy! I've been eyeing that recipe but I wasn't sure whether my family would like baked falafel (being used to fried). But I'm definitely making these soon, especially after reading such a positive review! :)

Andrea said...

We have this cookbook but haven't really used it. You've inspired me to give it a try. I always expected it to be great, but somehow it got neglected on the shelf.

Nanette said...

Thanks everyone! My previous favorite falafel recipe was the one from Vegan with a Vengeance but I like the Baked Falafel even better! I will have to try the Veggie Pot Pie Stew next.

Leslie R. said...

I love this cookbook!

Related Posts with Thumbnails