Friday, October 14, 2011

VeganMoFo #11 - The Art of Tofu

I bought this small cookbook, The Art of Tofu, after I tried some of Akasha Richmond's recipes in Vegetarian Times. Apparently there is also an updated print version for sale that includes color photos.


I made an old favorite - Southern Tofu Fricasee with Mashed Potatoes. The cookbook is intended to promote Mori Nu Tofu but for most of the recipes involving fried or sauteed tofu I use regular old extra firm tofu. Tofu is put in a paper bag with flour and spices and then browned in a heavy skillet. Onions, celery, and carrots are added along with broth to make a delicious sauce. The accompanying mashed potatoes also have a little pureed silken tofu added.



The book gives cooking times along with nutritional analyses of each recipe. I counted and there are about 50 recipes included along with a really large intro that talks about various ingredients. Recipes I've tried and liked include the Deep Dish Pot Pie, Tofu Piccata with Mushroom Caper Sauce, and the Tofu Swiss Steak. There are many more recipes I need to try like the Orange Blueberry Coffee Cake, the Italian Spinach Dumplings, and the Santa Fe Red Chile Enchiladas.

2 comments:

CraftyEarthMama said...

Never heard of this one. It's nice to try new ways of preparing an old fav!

Susan said...

I haven't heard of this book before either. But I do love new ways of using tofu!

Related Posts with Thumbnails