Monday, October 17, 2011

VeganMoFo # 12 - Vegan Brunch

One great summer when I was about 14 I went with a girlfriend's family to Cape May Point, NJ. We stayed at her Polish grandmother's beach house and ate her incredible pierogi. I haven't had them since I gave up dairy so I decided to try the potato and mushroom-sauerkraut pierogi from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.


I changed a few things to reduce fat and sodium (I caramelized the onions with some veg. cooking spary and water) and for the pierogi dough I used the same amount of fat but used extra-virgin coconut oil instead of cooking oil. Although the ones in the photos aren't browned, we did end up liking them better browned. I had a lot of filling left over so I will be making them again soon.



I used my little dumpling maker to shape the pierogi. I ran out of yellow onions when making the potato filling so I used a red onion. Below on the left you can see the potato filling and the mushroom-sauerkraut filling is on the right.



The pierogi were labor-intensive as are some of the other recipes in the book so I tend to make these recipes for dinner. (I am never an enthusiastic cook in the morning!) I recommend Vegan Brunch for those who miss big luxurious breakfasts or like to entertain or who love to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

Recipes I've made and enjoyed from the book include: Puttanesca Scramble, Shiitake-Dill Frittata, Tofu Benny, Cornbread Waffles, the Banana Rabanada (Brazilian French Toast) which is seriously awesome, Potato Spinach Squares, Cherry Sage Sausages, Cocoa-Raspberry Muffins and the East Coast Coffee Cake.

4 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

What a cool gadget, I'm planning to make pierogis on Friday & I think I need to hunt one down by then.

cadryskitchen.com said...

I made those pierogis once and they were a lot of effort but so very, very good! I like your idea of using the dumpling maker. It seems like it would make the whole process a lot cleaner and easier.

Mandee said...

They look perfect! And I'd love one of those little dumpling makers.

Susan said...

That gadget is awesome! I want one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails