Wednesday, October 19, 2011

VeganMoFo #14 - Eat, Drink and Be Vegan


Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating by Dreena Burton has 8 different hummus recipes. I know this may not mean much to others but I find it very exciting! The White Bean Hummus with Thyme and Basil is one of my favorite recipes and is a great choice for serving to omnivores who may not know much about hummus. I initially wondered about some of the flavors used in the dip - white beans, tahini, lemon, garlic, red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard plus fresh herbs but it really works.



This book's emphasis is on entertaining with a section on other dips and nibblers, sandwiches and spreads, casseroles and one pot meals, beverages, and Dreena's signature desserts. There are color photo inserts throughout. I also like that this book uses less oil - for instance, only 2 Tbsp in the Cocoa-Banana muffin recipe. I think this is my favorite book of hers and I really need to try more of the desserts. There are a good selection of gluten-free desserts as well.

Recipes I've tried and liked include: Berry Goodness Muffins, Chipotle-Lime Two Bean Hummus, Tamari Roasted Chickpeas, Lentil Veggie Chimichangas, Quick Chickpea Confetti Casserole, and the Cashew Banana Ice Cream.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus recipe in this book -- it's the hummus recipe my family most often requests that I make.

Katie said...

EDBV is probably my favorite cookbook! In addition to the ones you mentioned, some of my favs are the zucchini muffins, chocolate mint melties and chickpea sensation patties!

Andrea said...

Chipotle-lime two bean hummus? Sold!

Cadry said...

I don't cook from this cookbook nearly enough. However, every year around this time I pull it out for her cranberry sauce. It's my favorite of any that I've tried. With just cranberries, maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar, it's pretty simple, and the combo of sweet, sour, and tart is spot on.

Amey said...

Yeah, I like ED&BV too... but I"ll admit that I mostly use it for her totally kick-ass cookie recipes. ha ha. I should re-examine the entrees section, and that whole chapter of hummuses! Her simple hummus from Vive La Vegan is my go-to hummus recipe - so simple and delicious every time.

Susan said...

I agree it is my favourite of her cookbooks. I love the hummus chapter too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails