Friday, October 21, 2011

VeganMoFo #16 - Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen

Although I make a lot of unusual pizzas until I made this recipe I had never tried beans on pizza. This recipe is the Quick Tuscan-Style Pizza with White Beans, Tomatoes, and Basil from Donna Klein's Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. It is one of her older books and was published in 2001.


White beans are cooked with garlic, olive oil, and vegetable broth until they are creamy. They top the pizza along with sliced tomatoes and basil. The really fun part of this pizza is the crust. In the recipe she specifies using commercial refrigerated pizza dough but I used the basic pizza dough recipe from the book instead. You roll it out and prick it all over with a fork and bake it for 4 minutes. Then you prick it all over again with a fork and bake it again. Then add toppings and bake it on the bottom rack of your oven. This makes the crust crispy and cracker-like. It was really good and I think this would make a great appetizer at a party cut into smaller slices.


This is the first recipe I've made from this book and I honestly don't know why I waited so long. The book has a whole section of pizzas and I've made all the pizzas from Vegan Italiano several times. I also have her Supermarket Vegan and Tropical Vegan Kitchen on the Kindle and I've never made anything from those books either. It is officially time to remedy that!



Other recipes I want to try include: Provencal Chickpea Flour Pancake, Polenta Crostini with Caponata, Green Olive and Almond Tapenade, Ditali with Cauliflower, Squash Gnocchi with Walnut Sauce, Vermicelli Nests with Chickpeas, Spinach and Tomato, and the Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Panini. Each recipe in the book includes nutritional info; there are no photos. She includes a section on suggested weeknight menus ready in less than an hour and information on entertaining.

5 comments:

emmathackerfatcore said...

Looks great, really fresh and light!

Amey said...

awesome! That looks a super nice pizza pie. I used to use that book all the time, but I don't look at it much anymore. I really like about it that it's full of whole foods that are easy to find and feel good to eat.

Andrea said...

I really like the look of the cracker-y crust. I've never put beans on pizza, either, but it sounds delicious.

Micah Ludeke said...

This looks so beautiful!!

Cara said...

Oh man, all this talk of pizza is making me crave some now :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails