Wednesday, October 26, 2011

VeganMoFo # 19 - Sweet Utopia

I bought Sharon Valencik's Sweet Utopia: Simply Stunning Vegan Desserts for one recipe - the Sticky Toffee Pudding. Sticky Toffee Pudding is my favorite non-chocolate dessert and I really enjoyed her nondairy version of that recipe. Since then I haven't made anything from the book. (Seen here is the library version of the book; I own the Kindle version although now that I see the color photos in the book I wish I'd purchased the print version.)

For VeganMoFo I made the Fruity Chocolate Crepe Rollups and I'm very glad I did. This recipe will become a standby when I need a fancy dessert or breakfast and better yet, the only oil used is what you need to cook the crepes.



The chocolate crepe recipe was supposed to yield four crepes but mine actually made six. The first three stuck to the pan I chose. I finally switched to my trusty cast iron skillet and made these with only some vegetable cooking spray. The crepes are spread with jam (I used Trader Joe's Superfruit preserves.) then soy yogurt and fruit. I topped mine with some coconut and walnuts but really it wasn't necessary.





This book has a really nice variety of different desserts from cakes and sweet breads to tarts and granola and tiramisu. I'm especially interested in the chapter on Velvety Mousses, Puddings, and Cremes and plan to try one of those very soon. I recommend this book to everyone with a sweet tooth!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails