Monday, October 3, 2011

VeganMoFo #2 - Real Food Daily


The Real Food Daily Cookbook by Ann Gentry was published in 2005. Although I phase cookbooks out pretty frequently I've held onto this one. I like the focus on fresh, colorful ingredients (there are photos for some of the recipes) and her take on main dish salads and sandwiches. She uses a lot of vegetables in her recipes and the entrees in the book are even organized by season. There is an entire Thanksgiving menu in her autumn entree section. Many of the recipes are time-consuming so I am more likely to cook a bunch of recipes from the book for a special occasion. For VeganMoFo I chose two of the simpler recipes. The carrot salsa includes red onion, cilantro, lime, cumin and jalapeno. The Pico de Gallo uses tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno and lime.

By far my favorite recipe from this book is her Cashew Cheddar Cheese. The 101 Cookbooks blog posted it HERE and it is also in Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's The Vegan Table without the agar flakes. Another pretty popular recipe from the book is the RFD Burger made from beets and that recipe can be found HERE.

Other recipes I've tried and liked from the book include the Golden Gravy, Creamy Broccoli Soup with Red Pepper Creme, Tempeh and Potato Salad, Mexicali Chop with Crispy Tortilla Strips and Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette, Barbecued Tofu Chop with Ranch Dressing, and the Scallion Butter. Looking through this book to write this blog entry I found many, many more recipes I need to try. The Real Food Daily Cookbook is definitely a keeper! 


I didn't take enough photos of the salsas so instead here's a photo of my wonderful house rabbit Bubbles.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I have heard SO many good things about that cookbook! Sadly I do not have it.

Bonnie said...

Bubbles is so cute!!
Oh, the food looks good too :) I never make salsa, and now I'm wondering why...

B.A.D. said...

I don't know if I'd every heard of this book before, thanks for the review!

Leslie R. said...

Bubbles! How cute!

Jenn said...

I LOVE the Sweet-and-Sour Tempeh recipe in that book!

Related Posts with Thumbnails