Monday, October 31, 2011

VeganMoFo #22 - Veganomicon

I saved the largest cookbook for last. Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero is the sort of book you'd give to a friend who was trying out a plant-based diet. It is full of helpful advice and 250 recipes to keep you cooking.


I made the Banana-Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding. I used whole grain bread for the bread cubes and dark chocolate cut into small pieces for the chips. I thought this dish was excellent but next time I'll use crispier bread for a firmer bread pudding.

Other recipes I've tried and liked from the book include: Spicy Tempeh Nori Rolls,  Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Seed Rice Paper Rolls, Tofu Florentine, Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango, Brooklyn Deli Macaroni Salad, Baja-Style Grilled Tempeh Tacos (my fave recipe from the book), Snobby Joes, Black Bean Burgers, Chile Cornmeal Crusted Tofu, Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh, Chickpea Cutlets, Black-Bean Vegetable Soup, Tomato-Rice Soup with Roasted Garlic and Navy Beans, Baked Potato and Greens Soup with Potato-Wedge Croutons, Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits, Pumpkin Baked Ziti with Caramelized Onions and Sage Crumb Topping (DH's fave recipe from the book), Dill Tahini Sauce, Skillet Cornbread, Pumpkin-Cranberry Scones and the Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies.



Here's a preview of our dinner tonight. I made the Pumpkin-Raisin Cookies from Jennifer Raymond's Fatfree and Easy, the Graveyard Salad (one of the cucumber tombstones fell over) from the Forks and Beans blog, toasted pumpkin seeds and a jack-o-lantern pizza. I prebaked the crust then added pizza sauce, diced bell peppers and kalamata olives. I'll crisp it in the oven right before dinner. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

4 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Your dinner looks amazing & I love the pumpkins.

Rose said...

Ooo, bananas in bread pudding has to be yummy!

Love your Halloween spread; the cucumber tombstones are great and that pizza is totally cute.

Happy Halloween!

Cara said...

Eeeeeeeeeee!!! Look at how fun your Halloween meal is--I can hardly contain myself! :)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

What a cute picture!

Related Posts with Thumbnails